History of the the Shrine of St. Joseph in Santa Cruz
February 15, 1929
Four Oblates of St. Joseph missionaries leave from Asti, Italy to minister to the Italian immigrants within the coal regions of the Diocese of Scranton, Pennsylvania. Within a short period of time they are entrusted with three parishes to administer in the Greater Pittston area of the diocese.
November 21, 1930
The Oblates of St. Joseph make the decision to expand their presence in the USA by accepting parishes and opening religious communities within the state of California.
February 23, 1931
The Oblates of St. Joseph arrive in the area of Fresno, California and are given a parish to administer in the town of Dos Palos.
January 6, 1933
Oblate Fathers Emil Boccalatte and Silvio Masante purchase a Victorian House on West Cliff Drive, Santa Cruz to house the religious community
April 25, 1949
Fr. Mario Buttini, O.S.J., superior of the California delegation, petitions Bishop Aloysius J. Willinger of the Diocese of Monterey-Fresno for permission to build a minor seminary and novitiate house in Santa Cruz. Permission is granted on May 24, 1949.
December 8, 1949
The Sullivan Family donates a large parcel of land to the Oblates of St. Joseph in Santa Cruz. Plans are made to begin construction of a chapel dedicated to St. Joseph on this gifted parcel of property.
April 26, 1950
Permission is granted by the local bishop to build a seminary chapel in Santa Cruz. The chapel eventually expands into a house of worship welcoming the local faithful and visiting pilgrimage groups.
May 25, 1951
The Oblates of St. Joseph purchase the Villa Residence on West Cliff Drive, adjacent to the Victorian House, for housing increasing numbers within their religious community.
October 14, 1951
Ground breaking ceremonies are held to begin construction of the church.
The groundbreaking and blessing to being the chapel for the Shrine of St. Joseph. The statue in this photo is currently in the Shrine lobby.
It’s coming together! Here key figures in the project of the chapel review progress. They are standing above the area that will become the arched entryway closest to the water.
This original chapel had a flat roof. The construction site here is surrounded by cypress trees.
Here are several photos of our chapel under construction.
August 31, 1952
Solemn dedication of the Chapel of St. Joseph by Reverend Monsignor William McLaughlin, pastor of the neighboring Holy Cross Parish, Santa Cruz.
Now with the project complete, Catholics from throughout Santa Cruz gather to celebrate!
November 3, 1993
After extensive additional construction and renovations by then Oblate Provincial, Fr. Larry Toschi, O.S.J., the church is re-dedicated and proclaimed a diocesan shrine in honor of St. Joseph, Guardian of the Redeemer, by Most Reverend Sylvester D. Ryan, D.D., Bishop of Monterey.
November 3, 2018
Celebrating twenty-five years of abundant graces and blessings as a diocesan shrine dedicated to St. Joseph, a solemn Mass of Thanksgiving is celebrated by Retired Bishop Sylvester D. Ryan and Bishop Gerald E. Wilkerson, Apostolic Administrator of the Diocese
of Monterey. Returning for the Anniversary Mass and serving as homilist was former shrine rector, Fr. Larry Toschi, O.S.J. Faithful from throughout the Oblate USA province participate in the joyous occasion.
2018 – 2019
A capital campaign drive is organized under the direction of current shrine director, Fr. Paul McDonnell, O.S.J. Plans are to completely transform the current Marello Conference Room into a state of the art coffee shop which will create a space for fellowship and evangelization to the general public. Campaign funds were also used to repaint the church interior, installation of new carpeting and marble flooring within the sanctuary area. A grand opening of the cafe, adjoining gift shop and administrative office is scheduled for late Fall 2019.